Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have aortic stenosis and osteoporis also a past victim of…

Customer Question
I have aortic stenosis and...
I have aortic stenosis and osteoporis also a past victim of breast cancer I AM O COUMADIN BUT WHICH VITAMINS CAN I TAKE TO improve the osteoporosis as my bones hurt. Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/27/2010
Doctor: Dr Jones, Board Certified MD replied 8 years ago
Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Welcome to justanswer.

Calcium and vitamin D are needed to increase bone mass . So along with calcium supplement generally vitamin D in dosage of 600 IU daily for men and women of 71 years and older are advised.

Please ask if there are any further doubts.
Thank you.Take care.
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
While the above expert is correct about vitamin D and calcium I would submit that a lot has been left out that is needed to answer your question.

Vitamin D recommendations are increasing. Officially, adults over 50 need 800 to 1000 units of D per day and this is increasing.

If your bones hurt fro osteoporosis then you need to discuss the possible use of the medicine calcitonin with your doctor as this relieves bone pain very well.
Also discuss bi-phosphanate medications with your doc.

Diet is highly neglected in discussions of osteoporosis. The more vegetarian the better. Animal products create an acidic environment in the blood, and the buffers come out of bone. Animal foods have high phosphorus, which competes with calcium absorption in the gut.

Then walking, a weight bearing exercise, daily if possible, is very important to prevent the progression.
Good luckPlease click ACCEPT to give answer credit. Positive feedback the most appreciated Bonuses the most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.

I hope this information is useful. Please find me for future questions by asking for me in the question title, for any questions at all and to let me know how this goes.

DT

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician