Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My head shakes involuntarily right to left can't stop it…

Customer Question
my head shakes involuntarily right...
my head shakes involuntarily right to left can't stop it
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/27/2010
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hi.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Involuntary head shakes can be due to many causes, lets try to rule them out one by one.

Please answer the following questions:

Q. Do you have any medical conditions?

Q. Are you on any medications?

Q. Do any other parts of your body shake?

Q. Does the head shake all the time or only when you are at rest or not concentrating?

Q. Do you have palpitations?

Q. Headaches?

Q. How long has this been going on for?

Doctor: Family Physician, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Based on your description of your tremor (a side-to-side shaking of the head), I would suspect that you are suffering from essential tremor.
http://www.wemove.org/et/et_cc.html

There are a number of treatments for this type of tremor including propranolol (Inderal) and primidone (Mysoline)

Here is some information on this particular type of tremor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDjl_frMbOM

If your primary care physician is not able to diagnose or treat your tremor, an evaluation by a neurologist would be your next step.