Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son in law just got some devasting news. His daughter…

Customer Question
My son in law just...
My son in law just got some devasting news.
His daughter from a previous relationship is six years old.
He received news that the child has been infected with genital herpes.
My son in law and daughter want to take the girl into their home which consist of (two female children) a one year old child and and a three year old.
Is this possible?
How likely is infection to my other grandchildren and themselves sharing the same house, room and living enviroment?
Can this senairo of living together be possible or is specialized help for the child a necessary option?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/27/2010
Doctor: The Physician, Doctor replied 8 years ago
The Physician

Greetings

I can only imagine the likely varied emotions this must have evoked within the family.

The Principles in managing situations like this are based on the understanding of the nature and mode of transmission of the herpes virus.

Herpes virus have types 1 and 2. While genital herpes is almost always type 2 in Adults, in children (in absence of any sexual abuse), it can be type 2 or type 1.

In children, mode of transmission is not as complex as in adults for types 1 and type 2, because it is contagious from an ACTIVE lesion(sore). The penetrance (chance of infection) is also low with adequate hygiene.

So, I would not recommend REJECTION of this child from living with her siblings, but would RECOMMEND a heightened, alertness by the parents regarding basic hygiene measures like sharing underwear, towels etc

AND the following additional precautions.

1) The Child must be adequately treated from the onset

2) The mother must inspect the child regularly to detect any recurring lesion.

3)The child would have to be enlightened using age-appropriate technique on how to interact with siblings

4) regular medical check ups.

ALL authorities DO NOT suggest any form of quarantine.

Your answer said in absence of sexual abuse.

It appears it is not the case here, it is suspected some adult has infected the child.

How does this chamge your response?

There is always a CAUTION in making that assumption, because it has been established that sexual abuse is NOT the only mode of transmission for genital herpes in children, it is highly probable but not absolutely definite.

It would not affect my core response as to the overall objective of care, but would have tilted the pendulum of diagnosis more to Herpes type 2 (If it was DEFINITELY as a result of sexual abuse)

Except for anatomy of where lesions commonly occur, (Herpes type 1 above the navel, Type 2 below the navel) The pathophysiology of the two are similar.