Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question Im 37 years old I have been having

Customer Question
Hi I have a question...
Hi I have a question Im 37 years old I have been having symptoms of pregnancy but I have what seems to be my period for the last two months they are a lot lighter than normal and shorter days I can use pantyliners rather than pads. I tested and got a negative result naturally. Ive been cramping on and off for 2 months when normally I don't cramp at all I haven't in 14 years and they start days after my period has ended. My breast have been tender and swollen for 2 months as well. Could this be that Im changing because Im getting older ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/27/2010
Doctor: Dr. B., Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
are you diagnosed of any medical condition?
on any medications?
no
Dear Jacustomer,

I am sorry to know about your symptoms,

Based on what you mentioned,I will advise that you see a physician who can do a physical exam,serum TSH as imbalance of thyroid hormone can lead to similar cramping ,change in menstraul frequency as you described.
After ruling that out ,ask your physician to do serum FSH/LH ,as imbalance of these hormones too may lead to similar symptoms too,as yours.
I do not think at age of 37,you should be thinking about old age,as females keep menstrauting at normal intervals till age 48-52,so your symptoms do not seem to be asociated with your age,according to my opinion.

Thanks

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button so that I may get credit for my work.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor.

Relist: Answer quality.
Doctor: The Physician, Doctor replied 8 years ago
The Physician

Hello

Greetings

There are three cycles that are going on at the same time in women, The hormonal cycle which is the functional cycle involving a delicate balance and play between estrogen, progesterone and the controlling LH and FSH and the supervising prolactin and GRH. The Ovarian cycle involving the gradual maturation and release of the ovum (ovarian follicle) and the Structural cycle the endometrial cycle that involves gradual deposition of nutrient and tissue on the womb surface preparing to nurture baby, and if the baby is not formed, is shed with the culmination of the MENSTRIUM or PERIOD for 3-7days.

The fact that you have shedding at the ends of the period tends to indicate

The womb either DID not get a full instruction to shed, (anovular cycles i.e lack of ovulation, it is the fulcrum of ALL the cycles, what happens to the egg determines what happens henceforth)

There was not enough build up of tissue in the womb during the building phase (that is controlled by estrogen)

Or something is preventing the shedding, like fibroids, infection, polyps etc.

Because of this delicate play between structure and function, we start investigating systematically from structure, then function.

You have done pregnancy tests (90-95% of causes)

The next would be a Pelvic ultrasound.

If it is normal, a hormonal panel would then be done. In variably a pattern would emerge.

I dont like procrastinating, but I would think it is likely due to anovulation, which is usually due to Stress, weight change, some drug interactions- herbal meds.(this is based on the sudden onset, and your age)

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Doctor: khagihara, Doctor replied 8 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
I will try to help you.
How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? If so, over what period of time?
When was the first day of your last period? When are you expecting next period?
What contraceptive do you use?
Have you had a pelvic exam, PAP smear, and ultrasound recently?
Do you have problem adjusting to cold temperature? Do you feel you are always tired? Hair loss? Dry skin? Fragile nails? Constipations? Sleep problem? Voice change?
Do you have excessive facial or body hair? Do you have thinning hair on the skull? Do you have acne increased?
Do you feel you are always thirsty and drink a lot of liquid? Do you go to the bathroom frequently? Is your appetite increased? Do you crave sweets?
Any vaginal discharge?
Did you start to do strenuous exercise recently?
Do you have nipple discharge? Vision problem? Headaches? Loss of libido?
Do you have stress, worry, or anxiety at home or work?
Have you been pregnant? If so, how was the outcome?
Do you have any other problems associated with the problem?
Are you aware of anything which might have brought this on?
Do you have any medical problems?
Any surgeries?
Are you taking any medications including OTC pills and herbs?
Any family medical history?

I'm 5'6 160 pounds I have gained almost 15 pounds in 2 1/2 months. My hair is actually growing quickly and thicker. My first day of my last period ( I think thats what that was it didnt seem normal) was June 19,2010. I expect my next one to be July 15,2010. I go to the bathroom once every hour , yes I do feel thirsty more often now.

I don't crave sweets, I do have discharge for a couple of days after my period. No I didnt start a strenuous exercise program. A month ago I was getting headaches almost everyday and blurred vision. A loss in libido. I recently noticed my viens on and around my breast are very visible my viens in my hands and legs actually was hurting before they showed up so strong on my breast area. No discharge from my nipples they just look like they did while I was pregnant. I have 3 kids 17/ 15/ and 2yrs old thats my last known pregnancy. I have mild cramps all month no cramps during my cycle. No surgeries no medications just tylonal, no contraceptives. I had a pap smear and an ultrasound in December 2009. I am tired alot more lately. I am having problems with constipation. I have no family history of this sort of problem that I know of. I have been stressing over this. I get extremely nauses also really bad. Help please. I know I need to see a doctor I just can't afford that right now if I can help it. Unless I turn out pregnant I have no insurance I lost my job back in Dec. but my problem started in April which was the last month I had a real period.

Also last Dec.2009 the doctor check for fibriods, tumors , check my pelvic area and ovaries.

I need to ask you more questions to understand your condition.
Do you have hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness, or mood swing?
no hot flashes no night sweats no vaginal dryness yes mood swings
There are some possibilities.
  • dysfunction of thyroid (hypothyroidism): You have weight gain and constipations. You don't have cold intolerance. Your symptoms are not typical.
  • prolactionoma (pituitary tumor producing prolactin): You have vision change, headache, and loss of libido, However, you don't have nipple discharge typical to this disease.
  • pituitary tumor: vision change, headache, loss of libido, nausea, irregular periods are possible symptoms.
  • diabetes: excessive thirsty, excessive urination, weight gain, a bit overweight.
  • Temporary imbalances of hormones due to stress: But you lost job last Dec. It started in April. Less likely.
Unfortunately you don't have insurance now. Try to lose your weight with a diet and exercise. It could reverse your periods. When you get insurance, you should go to see a doctor to have blood test, MRI of brain to rule out pituitary tumor.
Hope you get normal periods after you lose weight.
Good luck!