Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Ive been taking thyroid medication since 5 years---i

Customer Question
recently had a pain in...
ive been taking thyroid medication since 5 years---i recently had a pain in my neck---when i swallow, breath deep, cough, sneeze or even laughing it hurts on left side of neck----and also it also touch where my thyroid is really sore---my dr. said he felt a knot the size of a grape on my thyroid or where my thyroid is located---he also said that my ear canal on my left ear is swollen---so he has me on gentamycin ear drops for that and scheduled me for a ultrasound of my thyoid.....what are your thoughts on this.....
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/27/2010
Doctor: Dr. Amir, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Thanks for your good question. I would like to have few details from you. any history of weight loss? any visible swelling on the neck? any history of heart burns? you are feeling a pressure on your neck?
no on the weight loss----no on swellin on the neck-----no history of heart burns----no im not feeling pressure at all----feel pain in my neck
Thanks for your details. I have reviewed your history & symptoms in detail and comes to the conclusion that there are few important possibilities which can be responsible for your some serious symptoms (respiratory problem, difficulty in swallowing and others like that) and these are retrosternal growth of thyroid gland (backward growth of thyroid gland behind the sternum not visible on neck as goiter, esophagitis (inflammation of food pipe), infection of the pharynx or respiratory tract. Retro sternal growth or thyroid enlargement or nodules are top in the list of possibilities which I mentioned. These are serious symptoms and should not be ta***** *****ghtly. I will advise urgent tests for you such as scans of neck & chest, thyroid scan (you are going for that already), complete blood count, ESR, urea breath test. You might need upper GI endoscopy later on depending on the result of above tests. If there will be any nodule in thyroid then biopsy should be done for that. In case of retrosternal goiter then surgery might be needed for that. Best wishes.

Do ACCEPT the answer if you find it useful in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed
oh i did have a thyroid scan done about 5 years ago----it showed my thyroid function normal---but i have been told i have a enlarged thyroid......and do have a family history of thyroid.....my moms brother died of hodgskins disease.....
That was too old scan and there is a strong need to have fresh scan as soon as possible. I was right in thinking about your thyroid enlargement which you confirmed now. There is now a strong possibility of further growth of thyroid retrosternal which might compressing your food pipe (giving difficulty in swallowing), compressing your air pipe (giving difficulty in breathing). Dont delay and this can be serious and should be sorted out at the earliest. Follow the guidelines which I gave you above and you will find those helpful. You may also need to see head & neck surgeon later on. Best wishes and good luck..

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed