Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is it psssible to have excessive mucus as a symptom of

zyprexa withdrawal?...
Is it psssible to have excessive mucus as a symptom of zyprexa withdrawal?
6/27/2010
DOCDEV
DOCDEV, Doctor

hello

i do not think a post nasal drip has got anything to do with the fact that you had breast cancer.neither does the treatment of the cancer has anything to do with the postnasal drip.Zyprex is known to CAUSE a runny nose,so weaning it off should have the opposite effect.

This symptom is caused by an obstruction in your nasopharynx,and if it is not found on a CT scan(i assume it was a contrast CT of the PNS)it would be worthwhile to get an endoscopy done by an ENT surgeon.

I know the postnasal drip did not cause my cancer. My initial question was can zyprexa withdrawal cause excessive mucus? It has become much more than a postnasal drip, it is a constant flow that makes it hard for me to even breath. It just seems to get worse with time.
The Physician

Greetings

While it is difficult for any doctor to say YES to your question because of lack of data suggesting this as a part of olenzapine(zyprexa) withdrawal, Its mode of transmission has not ADEQUATELY been deciphered and so it is likely that some of the effects may still not been documented.

It is a monoaminergic antagonist, and among the receptors that it has a high affinity for are the histamine receptors. HISTAMINE RECEPTORS are responsible for allergies and mucus secretion in the nasal passage.

Our understanding of receptor theory may follows that it might have a connection.

However, while theoretically this is LIKELY, there are no specific scientific data we can rely to be DEFINITIVE at this time.

Therefore if I were to advise you, I would suggest you use a nasal inhaler with an antihistamine,(azelastine or olepadine) continously for at least 2 months (this will dislodge the histamine receptors by competitive inhibition)

The Physician