Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband passed quite a bit of blood in his urine for

Customer Question
My husband passed quite...
My husband passed quite a bit of blood in his urine for three days, and then
it stopped. He didn't seem to have any pain when urinating. Since it has stopped
and his urine is clean, does he still need to see a doctor? What would be some of
the causes for this to happen? It has been about a week since this has happened.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/26/2010
Doctor: doctor_charles,
 replied 8 years ago
doctor_charles
Hello
Was there any discomfort in past while passing urine?
Is he overweight?
Is he taking any medication?
No discomfort and not overweight and never has been.
Doctor: doctor_charles,
 replied 8 years ago
Blood in urine is medically called as hematuria.Often, bloody urine is from a problem in your kidneys or other parts of the urinary tract or its the prostate.Its most common causes are:benign pro static hyperplasia (BPH; enlarged prostate) in men over especially over 60 age,prostate infection or inflammation (prostitutes)kidney stones and bladder stones,infection of the bladder, kidney, or urethra.Other causes can be blood related disorders or certain medications can also cause this.Your husband need urinalysis,kidney x-ray.abdominal ultrasound,,other blood tests.
The most common cause at his age is benign pro static hyperplasia (BPH; enlarged prostate).But the exact diagnosis can only be made after physical examination & tests.Although blood has stopped and his urine is clean now, but still he needs to make an appointment with urologist.