Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son had a CT Scan at eight months old. He fell off a

Customer Question
table and landed on his...
My son had a CT Scan at eight months old. He fell off a table and landed on his head. Now we are hearing much negative stuff about CT Scans. I blame myself because he was not unconsious he problly did not need one. I was so nervous and still am my doctor gave me Lexapro and xanax to calm me down. I think about it every day. He did not need yhe exposure. Can you tell me anything from this.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/26/2010
Doctor: dr.sehr, Doctor replied 8 years ago
dr.sehr
dr.sehr, Doctor
Hi

Welcome to justanswer

Dear concerned parent:

I agree with all of your comments . I believe that it should be mandatory that parents (in fact I would extend that to all individuals who themselves are undergoing medical radiation procedures) be informed of the potential risks related to undergoing higher radiation dose procedures. The procedures that I would focus on for this are CT scanning and nuclear medicine procedures -- any procedure that results in greater than 1 mSv of radiation. In the United States this should be under the auspices of the Department of Health and Human Services.

I believe this has to be standardized across all centers so that everyone gets the same benefit of knowledge. People should be informed of the potential risk, and it is inappropriate that they are not. Because of the greater risk for radiation-induced cancer in children, the policy probably should start with uniform delivery of information to parents.

At low total radiation exposure, even in children, the risk for cancer development would be extremely small.

Many would claim that there would be no risk for cancer whatsoever, but if I were to estimate from existing risk models, the risk would be no greater than a 1 in 20,000 chance of cancer. If you set this in the background of a lifetime risk of at least 35% of getting cancer (which we all have), then this level of risk would not be worrisome to me if I were in your situation.

In summary, do not worry about your son's risk for cancer; from the medical radiation he has received so far, his risk is extremely small.

GOD BLESS YOU
Regards