Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What does a CA 19-9 level of 4700 mean?

Customer Question
What does a CA 19-9 level of 4700 mean?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/26/2010
Doctor: dr.sehr, Doctor replied 8 years ago
dr.sehr
dr.sehr, Doctor

Welcome to justanswer,

Dear customer,

Tumor markers are molecules occurring in blood or tissue that are associated with cancer and whose measurement or identification is useful in patient diagnosis or clinical management.
CA 19-9 is the most sensitive and specific marker currently used in the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. Its interpretation, however, can be limited in the presence of certain nonmalignant diseases that have been correlated with elevated serum serum calcim
ferritin The mean mormal value is 7 U/ml.

CA 19-9 is elevated primarily in patients with carcinoma of the gastro-intestinal tract.
so 4700 is quite raised level of this tumor marker.This mean that tumor is dangerous and having poor prognosis

It is found that those patients whose post-operative CA 19-9 level exceeded 180 U/ml did much worse than those with lower levels.

I hope it helps you.
GOD BLESS YOU.

REGARDS