Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just had lab results back and everything is out of whack.

Customer Question
I have been taking diuretics...
I just had lab results back and everything is out of whack. I have been taking diuretics Maxzide 37.5 and Lasik 40 mg 2 times a day. My doctor put me in Klor-Con 20meq 3 times a day but... itseems to make me hold more fluid. I tried over the counter potassium 550 mgs of Potassium Gluconate but started having problems with swelling and extreme pain in my legs and feet and face swelling and especially around the eyes. My potaaium serum was 2.4 critical and chloride serum 89 low carbon dioxide total 33 high. My BUN 36, Creatinine serum 1.06 high my gfr 53 low. Also i had a 8.0 on EBV AB VCA Igc. My TSH 5.330 High. This is just half of my test results back. My Dr. Took me completely off Lasik and said to take my Maxcide and 4 Klor-con 2 am and 2pm. I gained 7 pounds from Wednesday to Friday and He said to take 20mgs of Lasik a day on Friday ant to cut back on Klor-con to three a day and still 2 Maxzide. Does this sound correct? I gained another 2 pounds this morning when I awoke. Will follow up on Tuesday for more blood work. I am a white female, 59 years old have had an issue with retaining fluid since the mid 1990's. Do I restrict sodium in my diet. My Dr. always seems to be in a hurry and I can't seem to get all of my questions answered. He an Internal Medicine Dr. Do you think I shoud go to some type of specialist? Oh I did get an RX for thyroid meds yesterday will be picking up today. Synthroid 25mcg. Thank you for your time. Gail O'Brien
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/26/2010
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello from JA; good that you asked at this point.
Yes you should see a specialist, and that is a neprhologist.
You have a high creatinine and it is unclear why, although this could be damage from hypertension. There is a fluid balance problem and the problem with the kidneys is aggravating this. By the time the creatinine is high, significant kidney damage has occurred. The neprhologist is an internist who has had much additional training in the kidneys and this is who I would send a patient to with this problem.
Too much sodium in the diet is harmful, and especially in this situation.
Animal protein and excess protein is harmful. A kidney friendly diet can be found in the book EAT TO LIVE by dr. Joel Fuhrman.
Your T4 and T3 must be checked since the TSH indicates you are hyppothryoid and this should be treated as well as diagnosed properly. If your doctor will not, an endocrinologist [or even the nephrologist probably] will.

Good luck and hope this gives you some direction.
Please ask for me in question titles in the future and let me know how this goes.
dt Please click ACCEPT to give answer credit. Positive feedback so appreciated. Bonuses most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only. dt