Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

A friend is in the hospital diagnosed with arsenic

Customer Question
poisioning he may have tried...
A friend is in the hospital diagnosed with arsenic poisioning he may have tried to commit suicide. All of his symptoms are similar to Gullian Barre. I know that Guillian Barre can be treated and most of the effects from it can be reversed. Is there any chance his symptoms can be reversed or will he most likely suffer from them for the rest of his life
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/26/2010
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

What symptoms is he having?

What evidence is there that it is arsenic poisoning?

Symptoms of tingling in hands and legs, lose of control of legs. They found arsenic in his blood and urine

Arsenic poisoning can present with several different types of symptoms, partly related to whether it is an acute or a chronic exposure. It is true that a neuropathy that looks similar to Guillain-Barre can be caused by arsenic exposure, and arsenic poisoning may be misdiagnosed as Guillain-Barre. If there is arsenic detected in the blood and urine, though, it is far more likely that it is arsenic poisoning. If recognized early, the overall prognosis for arsenic poisoning is good and it has a lower mortality and complication rate than Guillain-Barre. The symptoms will generally resolve once the exposure is eliminated and the arsenic is removed from the system with chelating agents, although it may take months for the neurologic symptoms to resolve completely.

I had Gullain Barre in 1998 and received Plasma Ferisis (palsma exhange) is there any chance that might help in his recovery

Although used in patients with Guillain-Barre syndrome, there is no evidence that plasmapheresis provides any benefit to a person with arsenic poisoning, as the underlying reason for the symptoms is different. Chelation therapy is the usual treatment for arsenic poisoning.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Thank you so much for your help. Have a nice day

You're welcome.

How long does the Chelation therapy take before we can see signs of improvement

The neurologic symptoms can be slow to resolve and can take months. Chelation will be used to remove the arsenic from the system, but will not be continued indefinitely.