Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My partner is 45, he has had MRI and CT scans and there is a…

Customer Question
My partner is 45, he...
My partner is 45, he has had MRI and CT scans and there is a mass at the top of his lung pressing on his heart, his ankles are swollen and he's taking morphine for the pain, he is having a biopsy soon. Is there any other disease that this could be because I am automatically thinking cancer?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/26/2010
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 years ago

Greetings.

Following can be the other possibilities;

1) Benign (non cancerous) lung tumors.

2) Thymus tumor (Thymoma)

3) Lymph node; though this can be malig***** *****ke Hodgkin's or Non Hodgkin's lymphoma, but is most of the times has good prognosis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

If it is not cancer is it cureable and if it is cancer what is survival rate?

If it is not cancer, it would be very easily treatable / curable.

Even if it is cancer; there is a high chance that it would be resectable and a complete surgical removal may be possible. A chemotherapy and radiotherapy also can be given after the surgery and an early cancer has not a bad prognosis. The 5-yr survival rate of patients varies from 60 to 70% for patients with stage I disease.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

He is in hospital in a lot of pain, he first noticed it five months ago as back pain and has only just been admitted to hospital and given scans after the pain got unbearable, at what stage would you suggest it was at if it where cancer?

I am very sorry about it.

Just by the symptoms, it is almost impossible to determine the staging. The scans (MRI and PET-CT scan) are the only way one can determine the staging, I am afraid.

Dr. Arun