Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I Have this week undergone some reactions to i beleive

prednisone injection at the er...
I Have this week undergone some reactions to i beleive prednisone injection at the er for headache nause and then was put on a med pack. Well i went into a total euphiora/physotic epipisode and quit taking all of them. I couldn't sleep, eyes totally messed up, felt jittery, speedy, and manic. This is leading me to think for sure some issues with hormones going on. I had to stop asap all the meds. Still was effected last night. It's been a few days without them how long may it last? It's a horriable feeling.
I have taken them before and never did this to me.
Also another concern of mine. I have been on long term prozac. The nuerologist seems to wonder about myetheliums gravies. After taking the above meds i was in a whirl wind and it still is affecting me.
Also i was on 40 mg of prozac during my chemo treatment and surgery etc. I then reduced it to 30 and now to 20 mg. Could this be having a adverse affect on me. I am debating about raising the does again. Not sure if prozac issues or steriods. Lots of the issues regarding congnative thinking has gotten worse after the reduction of prozac and my eyes our awful now.
I am just trying to get back to how i felt before and consider maybe same meds as before. The effects on the prozac I think have messed up the harmone issues as well. I have been on it for 14 years or more.
Please help again.
Thanks!
Katie mtntop2
6/26/2010
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Unfortunately prednisone can have negative effects sometimes, as can any drug.
It sounds to me that reducing the dose of Prosac after such a long time on the higher dose has to be done very careful.

There is in theory a receptor up regulation in the brain, since the prozac blocker the receptors in the pre-synaptic neuro, allowing seretonin to flow freely to the post synaptic neuron. In blocking these re-uptake receptors for so long, the balance can actually, in theory, be shifted to more re-uptake receptors.

Thus getting off teh drug can take a long time and so can stabalizing after getting of the drug, since the receptor balance has to re-set itself. I have had patients experience a multitude of unpleasant symptoms withdrawing from SSRI medication.

One way to test this is to increase the dose again slightly and see if it helps alleviate symptoms. Talk with your doc about this and the possibility of doing a very slow taper, assuming that an increase helps. Increase only to the point of relieving withdrawal symptoms, which is the baseline, then taper very cautiously.

Good luck
dt
Answers for informational purposes only. Please click accept to give answer credit. Positive feedback so appreciated. Bonuses most helpful. dt
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Ok Please disect the following Ct scan of the adomen.

Findings: The lung bases our normal. The cone widows intact. The kidneys, spleen, and pancreas have normal density.

A small calcification seen best in imagine 2/16 is noted posterior to the pancreas and appears to be extraparenchymal. After IV contrast there is a note of a 5 mm rounded low density arean in the posterior segment, lateral segment, and several other very small low density areas in the dome which was suspicious for cysts. The enchancement of the spleen, pancreas and kidneys oare normal. The ADRENAL glands our slightly thinckened bilaterally. The gallbladder removed.

This is a history of 52 year old female with Stage 3idc lymp postive.

Thanks!

I would like you to explain this report a bit more if can.

The conern is to clairfy

Calicifactions seen

5mm low density area

thickened bilaterly adrenal glands .

Sincerely,

Katie

The calcifications are probably meaningless.
Small cysts like these that are not thought to be causing symptoms are followed conservatively, monitored with ultrasound for example.
If cysts are thought to be symptomatic, there are sometimes surgically removed.
You would need a specialist to loot at this CT.
dt
For new questions you can ask for me in the title of the question.
Thanks
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
What is ment by the thicking of the adrenal glands?
There is not comment on what meant.
But this might represent some degree of adrenal hyperplasia or hypertrophy, but the reports states slightly thickned. This is a very non-specific finding. Most every finding on the ct will have to be correlated to physical exam, history, etc.
dt