Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is the colored straw made of pe-ld 04 safe to use for

Customer Question
drinking warm milk? Thanks....
Is the colored straw made of pe-ld 04 safe to use for drinking warm milk? Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/26/2010
Doctor: Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Are these regular straws from the store that you are talking about?
we got them from IKEA. Kids love to use them to drink warm milk, but we are wondering whether they are safe.
Thank you for the added information -
materials made out of plastic to be used for food consumption should be able to used for eating and drinking as looking as the temperature remains below the melting point which is quite a bit higher than 'warm' milk, so yes it is safe.

How about the color part? Can we assume that there is no heavy metal like "lead" in the staw and affect the central nerve system for the kids?

It would be highly unlikely for lead to be in straws these days - lead in straws have not been a problem in the US for years - and we are talking going back to the 1950's/ 1960's.
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Thanks!
Your welcome - take care.