Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Semen plugs

Semen plugs
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/26/2010
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Hello
What is your question, please explain in detail..
Thank you

In my semen there is a jelly that is yellowish. What is it and how can I get back to normal. It has been this way for about 6 years.

Well, it is not your sperm that is jelly it would be your semen (the fluid that transports the sperm).
Also this is usually nothing to worry about.
Also Semen can be yellow if mixed with urine, which can happen and be completely normal.
For the peace of mind, you can get it checked from Urologist.
Relist: Answer quality.
I would like to know the cause- lack of certain hormone etc.
I know this is a semen problem as stated in my question.
I would like to know how to fix this problem.

You are right. A male hormone deficiency is responsible for the yellow plug in semen. Please see this resource;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/discolored-semen/AN00779

Your blood estimation of the testosterone should be done and if needed injectable testosterone or dermal patch would be prescribed to you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun