Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My Dad is 83 years old and his doctor as him on 11 different…

Customer Question
My Dad is 83 years...
My Dad is 83 years old and his doctor as him on 11 different pills. Oxycodone,glipizide,carvedilol,warfarin,metformin,omeprazole,allopurinol,digoxin,klor-con,gemfibrozil,gabapentin,furosemide,lyrica and amitriptylin. Since he introduced the Lyrica,oxycodone and amitriptylin to his meds a week and a half ago he has done nothing but sleep and his muscles are in constant pain. I can't stand to see him suffer and I don't no what to do. Two weeks ago he was outside working in his garden and driving to church and now he can't hardly get around. Please help me!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/26/2010
Doctor: Dr. Abid, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor

Hi regarding your dad condition as he has constant muscle pain and fatigue he is using different medications i want to share with you that drug GEMFIBROZIL side effects include Unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness and especially fatigue seen in about 3.8 percent of patient using this drug along with feeling tirdness more then usual,so please discuss with your dr regarding the side effect of this drug.

Regards.

Dr. Abid,

My Dad has been on Gemfirozil for a long time and hasn't had this problem. All of this started when he was introduced to the last three medications that he prescribed for him. The Lyrica 50mg in the morning and 100mg in the evening, oxycodone 10mg in the morning and 10mg 12 hours later, amitripylin 25mg one hour before bedtime. This is when he started going downhill.

Ok but still i will recommend you to get his muscle enzymes that will be helpful to check side effects of gemfbrozil in addition to that i will suggesr him to stop taking lyrica and oxycodone just continue with amitryptyline 25 mg at bed time that will be helpful for him,get check his hemoglobin level also and then proceed further.

Regards.

Your answer was incorrect! It was the Lyrica and amitryptyline that was his biggest problem. I had to take him to the emergency room and they admitted him on Sunday. Now they are going to check his heart and that medication made is coumadin level all out of whack. Anyway, if all goes well then he will come home on Friday or Saturday.

Ok wishing him a good health :)

Regards..