Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Six months ago i had surgery to have my bladder suspended by…

Customer Question
six months ago i had...
six months ago i had surgery to have my bladder suspended by a gyn. It seems that my problems began after surgery with frequent urination night and day. It feels like I have constant urinary track infection. I've had terrible abdominal pain, terrible swelling in the belly. I was sent to a specialist (urologist/gyn) who told me the sling was obstructing my bladder and she fixed and loosened the sling. It really hasn't helped. I still have severe pain and haven't had a night's sleep in 6 months. One doctor has diagnosed me with IC the other doctor disagrees. I'm a celiac and I don't eat wheat and flour. I don't have caffeine or anything that is not on the IC diet for the past 6 months but that hasn't helped. Now I just started my 3rd installation of the 6 for the bladder. I don't even know I have IC. I'm desperate for answers and I feel I'm trying anything to try and get relief.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/26/2010
Doctor: Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the bladder and abdominal swelling and pain related to the complication of the surgery. The terrible abdominal pain with swelling suggest either obstruction and/or bowel inflammation. It is also likely that there was nerve damage during the surgery leading to increased nerve sensitivity or neurogenic pain with the slighest irritation either from the abdomen or surrounding pelvic tissue. I suggest that you consider the use of over the counter phenoazopyridine (AZO) to control the bladder pain. The frequency of the urination may be related to the bladder sphincter spasm, and should be evaluated and possibly treated with Detrol or Oxybutinin. In addition, I suggest that your doctor closely evaluate the abdomen to exclude worsening of bowel inflammation from the celiac disease or the presence of other problems such as adhesion or fistula.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
I've used Detrol and it hasn't worked as well as over the counter medications and they haven't helped. I'm currently on 100mg of Emiron twice a day which seemed to help for a week or two and now it is back to the same. I've had 3 installations this week alone because of the pain and I've been to many doctors and I don't think they can comprehend the pain and how it's changed my life. when I have the installations, I feel comfort but as soon as I can't hold it in any longer and I urintate, the relief is gone.
Thank you so much:

It is likely that the surgery may have caused nerve damage with increased nerve sensitivity and neuropathic pain with irritation of the surrounding tissues. I suggest that your doctor consider medication such as Lyrica to neutralize the nerve pain. In addition, I suggest that your doctor closely evaluate the abdomen to exclude worsening of bowel inflammation from the celiac disease or the presence of other problems such as adhesion (can complicate abdominal or pelvic surgery).

What particular test would you recommend I ask for? I had the celliac test and it showed negative but they think I still have it. What type of specialist would you recommend? I have a DO, a gyn, a gynoeurologist nothing is helping. Can the surgery I had be reversed and would it be good or not to do. At times I'd rather have my bladder taken out and live with a bag then this pain.
Thank you so much:

I suggest that your gastroenterologist (GI) doctor closely evaluate with tests including anti-gliadin, anti-endomysial and anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies titers. The surgery you had can be reversed but it not a good idea, as the problem may be reverse with reversing the surgery. I suggest that to consider a second opinion with another gynurologist. I am really sorry about you difficulties.