Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have weakness in my legs that prevents me from walking…

Customer Question
i have weakness in my...
i have weakness in my legs that prevents me from walking good at all. It appeared out of the blue. I' 68 yrs and have been active all my life, nothing looks wrong with my legs they just won't work like they used to. I need to know what kind of Doctor to see, I've been to so many already, but I have to keep trying.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/26/2010
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,

Sorry for the problem.
Please let me know a little more about the symptoms to answer you better. Since how long/ What specialists did you see? Is there any pain or wasting of muscles?

Regards.
I'm 68 yrs of age, always active and hard working. All of a sudden I get up one morning and my legs don't work, I could barely walk. All that had happened to me was I fell over on a table and bruised my left ribs and my left knee, but nothing serious. I didn't even go to a Doctor, this happened shortly before my legs quit working. I don't know what kind of doctor would be best for me to go to. Any help you could tell me would be appreciated greatly.
Thank you for the input.

I shall try my best to explain the condition. Weakness of the legs can be due to a neurological or muscular problem. Sometimes pain in the joints can prevent good walking. Neurological condition can be due to impaired nerve impulse from impingement, stroke, MS, motor neurone disease etc. Parkinson's disease can cause slowing, stiffness etc. Myopathies can also cause weakness. Other causes can be low electrolytes, neuropathies from diabetes, vitamin deficiencies, thyroid illness etc. I would recommend that you can take a thorough examination by a neurologist, if you have not taken yet. Tests like scan, blood calcium, electrolytes & metabolic panel can be needed.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.