Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been suffering from anxiety now for neally 18mths…

Customer Question
I have been suffering from...
I have been suffering from anxiety now for neally 18mths after having my second child.
Suffered with post natal for about 6 mths initally, then found that xanax was the answer.
13months later it is back, and so are my migraines that I haven't had for 12 years.
I am currently have heart palpitations, which now I am on Deralin 20mg at night and then 20mg in morning, aswell as my doctor has increased my zanex to 0.5mg, which I take up to 3 a day.
I have had blood tests, urine, test by my GP, which are all good
I have seen a cardioliogist, ECG was fine, blood work was fine and waiting on urine and holter monitor results, I am also waiting to have a MRI this week.
I feel like I am going a little crazy, I have night sweats, dizziness, am nervous, exhausted, seem to have strange vision most of the day, which really is getting to me, like I have been drinking alcohol is the only way to describe it or spaced out when I look at things, and then on the other hand I can can get so hyped up I race all day.
I am also booked in to a natropath this week.
Don't know what else to do ???????
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/26/2010
Doctor: khagihara, Doctor replied 8 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? If so, over what period of time?
How was the baby delivery? Any problem like a lot of bleeding?
How is your baby?
Do you have worry, anxiety, stress at home or work?
Are you depressed?
How is your appetite?
Do you sleep well?
Are you aware of anything which might have brought this on?
Do you have any medical problem?
Any surgeries?
Did your symptoms get worse after taking more xanax?
I am 168cm and weigh around 55kg. Have a lost a couple of kilo's in the past few months.
Delivery of baby was 2hrs in total, no problems, had an episiotomy.
Baby is healthly and well, no problems at all.
Am not working, anxiety normally is bad when first wake up, heart racing and shaky, until I have a xanax, this seems to calm me for a while. Then by lunch time I need another, however my mind seems to be always unclear and foggy, which seems to make my eyesight strange.
I don't feel depressed no.
My appetite I would say isn't great, I seem to eat because I need to.
I don't have trouble going to sleep, but seem to wake in the early hrs of the morning, and then sometimes dream when fall back to sleep. Usually strange dreams.
I don't have any medical problems, or recent surgeries.
I feel something inside is not balanced perhaps hormonal as I can get very emotional at silly things and then can be on such an adrenalin rush at other times.
I don't feel that taking more xanax, my symptoms have gotten worse, I feel that I wouldn't get through the day if I didn't take it.
How ever my symptoms are getting better either.
You might have serious side effects of xanax. Xanax should not be taken for a long time (more than 8 weeks). The long-time use causes cognitive impairment. If you stop it suddenly, you will have serious withdrawal syndrome. You need to reduce the dose gradually. At first, you need to switch to long-acting benzodiazepine such as valium. Then you reduce the dose gradually. During the process, you will be given with medications such as trileptal, neurontin to help your symptoms. You should talk to a psychiatrist who knows benzodiazepine withdrawal instead of GP. You should ask GP to refer a psychiatrist.
I have a patient who had taken it for 14 years for panic attack. She is suffering from bezodiazepine withdrawal syndrome. It takes average 2 years to recover from the withdrawal syndrome.