Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have one swollen breast for about 3 weeks, 53 yrs old,

Customer Question
same side arm pit has...
I have one swollen breast for about 3 weeks, 53 yrs old, same side arm pit has been swollen about 2 months. GYN felt breast last week, said I was going to menstruate. Have not done so for 6 yrs. Mammogram last week was "distorted." have to go back for another. No lumps. What is going on?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/26/2010
Doctor: Vladimir, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Vladimir
Vladimir, Doctor

Hi

Can you please give me some additional information:

What does the swelling in your arm pit look like? Are there any lumps there?

Is there any discharge from the breast?

Has your health or weight changed in any way in recent months?

Do you take any medications?

Ever been on HRT?

Any other medical problems?

Any family history of breast cancer?

Just a little swollen in the front part of the armpit. It went down when I was on an antibiotic 3 months ago and came back up a week after the antibiotics. No lumps, just swollen. A little sore, like a bruise. No discharge from the breast, no lumps. When other breast "puckers" in a chill or otherwise, the one doesn't, just swollen. Nothing major in the health or weight, except I have been fighting a cold for the last 2 weeks. Medications, Altace and Lovastatin, aspirin, all working well. What's HRT? My mother's sister had breast cancer.

Sorry, HRT is Hormone Replacement Therapy.

Thank you for the answer.

Investigation of these kind of lumps requires thorough approach, the main goal being differentiating benign from malignant lesion.

Main steps in proper diagnosis are

1. Examination by experienced clinician, most often that being a breast surgeon, but sometimes it can be O&G, oncologist and even General Practitioner.

2. Imaging - mammogram, that has to be repeated in your case. Ultrasound and MRI are also used but usually to further investigate mammography findings.

3. Biopsy of any suspicious lumps or imaging findings.

If both 1.and 2. are negative, you probably won't need 3. Still you will need follow up appointment with your doctor and repeat mammography. In case you do need 3. and it is negative, you will again be under close follow up.

At the moment, the best you can do is to make sure you have a reliable doctor who is able to follow you up closely, and to wait repeat mammogram.

I know that waiting for this results can be very stressful and sometimes the results can be equivocal which prolongs the anxiety, so I hope you have good emotional support in this period.

I wish you all the best and I am here if you have any further questions.

Regards,Vladimir