Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have tingling like pins and needles in my arms. legs

Customer Question
mostly lower, feel, hands and...
i have tingling like pins and needles in my arms. legs mostly lower, feel, hands and now starting in my other parts of my body. I notice my scalp at times and occasionly on my face. Sometimes there is also itching and burning sensation in my feet. doc has run various blood tests checking by thyroid and different levels. no answers. I have trouble sleeping. sometimes it causes jerk movments in my legs at night. please help.
Jackie
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/26/2010
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 years ago

Greetings Jackie,

With your vastly distributed symptoms, polyneuropathy should be the diagnostic consideration. With a history of Vitamin B12 deficiency, this can be the possible cause. Following investigations should be done by your primary care physician or a neurologist;

1) Electromyography/nerve conduction studies (EMG/NCS)

2) MRI of the spine and brain; perhaps done

3) blood glucose, glucose tolerance test and glycosylated hemoglobin

4) serum B12 level with methylmalonic acid (with or without homocysteine); this should be repeated, if not done recently,

5) serum protein electrophoresis

6) Anti-nuclear antibody

7) Lyme testing

8) Rheumatoid factor

9) Sjogren's syndrome testing (Anti-Ro, Anti-La Antibodies)

Skin and nerve biopsy are recommended after the results of these investigations, if necessary.

This should give the diagnosis and guidelines for the management.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Relist: hoping for an answer to my problem not being told what more tests I need to take. wish to cancel.
hoping for an answer to my problem not being told what more tests I need to take. wish to cancel

I mentioned the diagnosis actually, in the previous post; polyneuropathy. There are three commonest causes for it;

1) Diabetes; which has to be ruled by the glycosylated hemoglobin and glucose tolerance test.

2) Vitamin B12 deficiency

2) Connective tissue disorders; Lupus, Sjogren etc.

The treatment is directed according to the cause ascertained.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun