Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having upper right sided chest pain, frequent…

Customer Question
I have been having upper...
I have been having upper right sided chest pain, frequent burping, gas, and sometimes lightheadness. My chest hurt when I press on it so the doctor thinks it is muscular. He sent me to get an x-ray because he said it may be emphyzema as I was a smoker. Since this chest pain I have not smoked. I am really scared. Please help me. I notice a little bit of swelling in my feet but I also ate salty fritos earlier. I had bad chest pain after eating the fritos.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/26/2010
Doctor: Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Hello

Sorry for the sufferings.

I have to know some points regarding your query before answering the question.

How long are you having this?

When have you consulted doctor last?

Is the swelling of feet on both side?

Did you have any blood test or treatment?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.

I have this several times a day for a few minutes. I saw the Dr. Monday and I go back a week from Tuesday. The swelling is both feet. I did not have a blood test. I do have tiredness in the morning, shortness of breath with increased activity and increased heart rate. I have had abnormal menustraul cycle for several months. I have been to my gynecologist about this. I have had weight gain around the middle. At times after I eat thick crusted pizza I get a bad pain in my upper abdomen. I was reading about hypoli virus a gastrointestinal virus and I have many of those symptoms.

Thank you for the information,

Your symptoms of tiredness, swelling of feet, shortness of breath with increased activity and increased heart rate can be related to anemia or low hemoglobin in the blood.

The tenderness or pain in the right upper side of the abdomen can be from hepatitis or inflammation of the liver, gall bladder disease, muscular pain etc.

Peptic ulcer pain can also be felt on this side.

Peptic ulcer can be caused by H. Pylori infection.

In that case there can be bloating after food.

Some dietary measures help to control gas.

Foods like cabbage, radish and beans can produce excess gas.

You can try to keep a food diary to find out which foods cause more gaseous distension, and avoid them.

Excess sugar or sweets can cause gas production.

Take plenty of water.

Take bland non spicy, low fat diet.

Avoid coffee, tobacco, alcohol, fried fatty food etc.

If there is excess distension, charcoal tablet and extra gas -X tablet may help.

Nexium can be taken to reduce the acidity till you go to doctor.

Sometimes pleural inflammation pain can be referred here, so doctor has taken x-ray.

But it is good that there is no lung issue.

An examination by doctor is necessary to distinguish among them .

You can need investigations like complete hemogram, ultrasonography, endoscopy, H. pylori test, come to a definite diagnosis.

As the symptoms are persisting, you should consult doctor again for examination and investigations to find out the cause and appropriate treatment as it is necessary.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Do you think my problem is more gastointentestinal or is it heart related. I would think if my Dr. thought it was heart related he would of referred me to a cardiologist. Is right sided upper chest pain heart related or not.
Sometimes heart pain can be felt in right side too though it is not common.

But your symptom is not typical of heart pain.

Increased heart rate can be due anemia, anxiety etc.

Still it is safer to have an EKG to exclude the heart issue too.

Best wishes.