Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Last night I had a weird sensation go across my chest, it…

Customer Question
Last night I had a...
Last night I had a weird sensation go across my chest, it made me dizzy. I got a little anxious from it and took my blood pressure it was 150/85 and pulse was 104. My normal BP is usually around 118/70. After about 10 min it went down to like 120/78. I then had some pain around the sternum area right in the center of chest but a little lower. Also since yesterday my teeth have been hurting. I then was worried that maybe it was jaw pain and there was really something wrong with my heart also yesterday my lef arm was hurting. i went to chiropractor today and she adjusted me but all symptoms from yesterday leave me anxious about a heart attack or something like it. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/25/2010
Doctor: The Physician, Doctor replied 8 years ago
The Physician

Greetings

I agree with the logic of your thought, a chest discomfort, dizziness, teeth pain and elevated BP/pulse.

On face value, the impulse would be to dismiss these as anxiety related (anxiety can mimic any sign).

However as a doctor, I think you should as a precaution check with your MD and get an ECG.

The logic is, there is nothing to loose if it is normal, but everything to gain if it shows any abnormality (all of which can be treated )

AND it is a reliable basic test for cardiac abnormalities

I have had ekgs done in the past, also have had an acho done about 6 months ago. Do you think I should go get one done right away like go to the ER or call my doctor on monday. Is it normal for the BP to spike like that. Is it possible to have the top number go but because I was scared

That is why I had said the impulse is to dismiss it. Anxiety( any emotional outburst, pos or neg) can cause a spike on BP transiently especially the systolic (top number)

I recommended the ECG because of the other associated symptoms.

If you are not feeling any symptoms you could hold until Monday so your MD would examine you and decide on ECG, BUT if it happens again you need to check as I advised ( ER).