Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How before i can travel abroad after having an ankle fusion…

Customer Question
How long before i can...
How long before i can travel abroad after having an ankle fusion operation?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/25/2010
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hi.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

10 weeks might be a safe period after this procedure to travel. Usually the operated leg is wrapped up in a plaster cast for 2 weeks after the surgery. A shorter cast is applied thereafter, for a few more weeks, however, the patient cannot bear weight on the feet for atleast 8 - 12 weeks after surgery, so make sure you don't bear weight which would include walking or standing without support, while you travel. It might be safer to postpone your trip if bearing weight is a problem at 10 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

In connection with the above question regarding my ankle fusion operation, I am concerned about bladder control problems which in normal circustances I can manage but will find it difficult to get to a toilet quickly when I am not able to get around. Is there any medication I could take? The problem is caused by weak pelvic floor muscles and medication for hypertension.

Linda Roll

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the accept.

I understand from your reply that you have urinary incontinence due to weak pelvic floor muscles.

I would suggest that while going on a journey you should perform timed voiding, every 2 hourly. You should go and use the bathroom every chance you get so that you do not suffer from overflow incontinence. While travel you can wear travel pads or adult diapers to avoid wetting the clothes.

Medication like Imipramine and other anticholenergics can also be used on the doctor's prescription.

However, you should concentrate on pelvic floor/diaphragm exercises known as kegel's exercise.

An interesting article on this can be read on the following link:

http://www.kegelexercisesforwomen.com/

--Hope this helps--

Best regards.