Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Dr. Doctor --- I have tried all treatments for IBS and

nothing helps. Is is possible...
Dr. Doctor --- I have tried all treatments for IBS and nothing helps. Is is possible that there is something wrong with my rectosigmoid junction? How would I rule that out? KB I would like to add that my symptoms have included, over the years, constipation, diarrhea, pain, vomiting and severe exhaustion. This started about 15 years ago. After trips to many docs, the suggestion is that that is some neurological impairment in my lower bowel. I am getting desperate....would love to visit my children in South Korea in the Fall but don't trust my bowel for a long flight. THank you.
6/25/2010
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
This would most effectively be checked with a. I you have not had one, you should have for screening purposes and because IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, the doctor should not make such a diagnosis unless she she has excluded other causes of the symptoms such as:
Diverticulosis, which can affect the area you are asking about.
Inflammatory bowel disease, and other forms of colitis, which can also be seen on colonoscopy.
Colon cancer, also can be seen on colonoscopy.

All that said, many medical treatments for IBS are not that infective. Adding soluble fiber and a variety of other fibers in a balanced way, through food choices mainly, is just as effective.
Stress reduction can help.

Back to your question, though, yes, other things should have been ruled out, perhaps they were. if not I would suggest getting a consult from a GI doctor [gastroenterologist] who can evaluate you and do appropriate testing, most likely colonoscopy, especially if this has not been done. Good Luck
Please click ACCEPT to give answer credit. Positive feedback the most appreciated. Bonuses the most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only. Please do not hesitate to find me for future questions [ask in the title of the question] and to let me know how things go. dt
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Can't stress the importance about colonoscopy enough.
One can not call this IBS without ruling out other illnesses.
Yest there could be something wrong in the sigmoid colon.
And yes someone needs to look.
Good Luck
dt