Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am experiencing pain in my heel. It feels muscular. It is…

Customer Question
I am experiencing pain in...
I am experiencing pain in my heel. It feels muscular. It is really affected when eating certain foods. Anything vinegar based, I usually have tenderness, achy and muscle stiffness. In the morning, is my most difficult time, until a warm shower has soothed the muscles/tendens. What could be causing this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/25/2010
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hi.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Heel pain is a very debilitating and distressing condition. It has a multitude of causes however, morning heel pain can only be caused due to certain conditions like arthritis, plantar fasciitis, heel tendonitis, heel bone spurs and bursitis.

As all orthopaedic conditions, this would require an xray of the heel and the ankle joint 3 views to diagnose. An ultrasound can be done to rule out bursitis, however, an MRI of the heel will give the best results.

Blood work up like ESR can differentiate between it being a chronic inflammatory condition like arthritis, which is not common in your age though should be ruled out as a possible differential.

I don't know if Vinegar can cause heel or muscle pain, but if you think you are predisposed to it, then I suggest you avoid it as much as possible.

Use of a heel brace while sleeping, muscle relaxants and pain killer combination medication like Norgesic, and application of pain killer liquigels like froben liquigel for local application before going to sleep.

Wear shoes and foot wear with thick heel padding and use of foot orthotics can also be helpful.

Hot compresses can help as muscle relaxers but can aggravate inflammatory conditions, so unless it is proved to be due to muscle spasms and an inflammatory condition is ruled out, I suggest you avoid using hot or cold compresses.

However, the condition does require a comprehensive review and warrants a physical examination which unfortunately can not be done on the web.

--Best Regards--