Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I woke up with the upper left corner of my lip and the skin…

Customer Question
I woke up with the...
I woke up with the upper left corner of my lip and the skin above my lip,puffed out with what seems to be either puss or water. THe skin above the lip is elevated and sore but there is no redness and it is extending a bit on the lip. Is this a fever blister forming on the skin and lip or is it another infection or bite and what can i do to treat it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,

Sorry for the problem.
Please let me know a little more about the symptoms to answer you better. How large it is? Did you have any trauma? any recent illness?

Regards.

Right above my lip is swollen like something bit me but it seems like fluid is in it and it's extending to the top of the lip where I usually get fever sores. It's just a strange location for a fever sore to begin, on the skin above the lip. I've been having breakouts since i moved to the UK, impotego etc. started last year but this has not been the problem as of the past couple of months. However, when I get a pimple, it is really deep and imbedded and takes months to heal and sometimes scars. THis never, in my life happened before. But this seems like a fever blister that is extending to the skin.

Thank you for the input.

I shall try my best to explain the condition. Sudden swelling of the lip & face is often due to an allergy or inflammation as from an infection. But when there is pain an infection is likely. Recurrent fever blister usually appears at the same spots or a few millimeters away from it. When it is a bit different from your past episodes , an examination by doctor should be taken. In case of bacterial infection , you will need antibiotics. Meanwhile you can try anti allergic medicines like benadryl, zyrtec etc till you visit doctor.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
What besides bendryl and zyrtec can help reduce the swelling or get rid of fever blisters?
Antiviral prescription medicines either tablet or cream are usually most useful. For reducing soreness & swelling antiinflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen can be helpful. Topical anesthetic cream like lidocaine are also used.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.