Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

The articles I am reading say skin to skin contact: If I…

Customer Question
The articles I am reading...
The articles I am reading say skin to skin contact: If I have MRSA in the groin area and I touch someone on the arm with clean hands, surely it's not THAT contagious?
In February I had a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with colitis. About a month or so ago I got a typical symtom of MRSA by my belly button. Not knowing what it was, I went to the Doctor, and during examination she found another "pimple" in my pubic hair. Could I have gotten MRSA from the colonoscopy, and it show up a little ways away from the rectal area? Or would I have had to have gotten it in that area by being exposed to something directly to that area?
If I could have gotten this from the colonoscopy does that mean that my gut could have MRSA? I"ve had more discomfort in my gut since the colonoscopy than I did before I had it!!
I'd be glad to pay $124. pr hr but sorry to say I & my husband live on S.S. and am lucky to pay the $14.00
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/25/2010
Doctor: Dr.K.S.Dastoor, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr.K.S.Dastoor
MRSA means Methicillin(an antibiotic) resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
The bacteria itself is a normal part of the skin and occasionally in the GI tract as well. Whether it is just Staph aureus or MRSA, only a culture of the organism can tell. All pimples and boils are caused ~90% of the time by Staph aureus and not even 1% of those would be due to MRSA. Having a colonoscopy 4 months ago is most certainly not the source of the bacteria, as when you bathe, most of the bacteria on the skin get washed off... Yes, if the pimple bursts and you touch the pus and then come directly in contact with someone, it may very rarely infect them, if they have an open wound, but that is also rare.
The pimples may need antibiotics, so please contact your doctor for a refill if the pimples have not resolved with the course of antibiotics.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. It was diagnosed as MRSA. and I had an allergic reaction to the medicine - maybe just because I had had to much in such a short period of time. I also keep reading that all these antibiotics do not cure it. Antibiotics kill the immune system and then the body can't heal itself. I've been trying to improve on my already better than normal diet. What other recourse is there?

I was surprised that this would cost money - I thought it was a free service just to be of help to us poor peones!! How foolish and nieve of me!!! I guess I have to except your answer even tho I feel it is incomplete, but I guess that is what I can expect for $14.

Antibiotics definitely cure MRSA. They also do not compromise your immune system. They aid it in destroying the bacteria. They do cause weakness and lethargy though.
To help, you could take lots of vitamins and trace minerals, like zinc, selenium and magnesium.
Madam, we are providing our professional expertise and if satisfied only, do I expect you to accept the answer. If not do not accept. But do not accept and leave a negative feedback if you are not satisfied!