Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had knee surgery on meniscal tearing left knee both…

Customer Question
I have had knee surgery...
I have had knee surgery on meniscal tearing left knee both sides. What does Multicompartmental Degenerative changes mean, with Grade 111 Chondromalacia is identified over the medial femoral condyle with a combination of grade 11 and grade 111 chondrpmalacia over the patella at the patellofemoral articulation . What does this mean for me.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Nita
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/25/2010
Doctor: Ken, Postgraduate doctor replied 8 years ago
Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
I can understand your anxiety.
Multi compartmental degenerative changes suggests there is degeneration at the knee joint involving both medial and lateral parts. Various changes occur at the knee which represent degeneration. They are loss of height and hydrosis at the menisci {cushions in between the bones if I may say so}/ thinning of the ligaments/ changes at bones like increased sclerosis, sub articular cysts, osteophytes, tibial spiking/ joint effusion. Chondromalacia patella is a condition resulting from damage to the cartilage under the kneecap. Grading suggests severity of the disease. Grade 4 suggests full thickness cartilage loss with underlying bone reactive changes.
Treatment consists of rest, ice, compression, elevation. You need to discuss the issue in detail with your bone doctor.
Wish you health. God bless
Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Can you tell me does this suggest that I may need a knee replacment.
I cannot stand on my leg for long as it starts to swell, I wear a knee brace, this has effected my ability to walk and my gait has got off and the disk in my lower back keep flaring up and I end up in bed
I do understand.
If the knee is causing pain/ swelling and is significantly hampering your daily routine than you may need to consider the option. A detailed discussion with your bone doctor will help in deciding plan of treatment.
God bless