Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 49 year old man and i weigh 243 lbs at 5'7".how is…

Customer Question
i am a 49 year...
i am a 49 year old man and i weigh 243 lbs at 5'7".how long is the detection period for marijuana metabolites (THC and half life THC) in a urine test.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/25/2010
Doctor: Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD replied 8 years ago
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
It depends mainly on the level of exposure. The difficulty is that THC, the active ingredient of cannabis, gets stored up in fat and is released slowly into the blood.

At your height and weight, cannabis, or rather, THC, takes a week to six weeks to clear from the body. For a mild exposure, say, a day of moderate smoking, a week would be sufficient to clear up the system. But for chronic exposure, in heavy smokers, 6 weeks would ideally be required for the cannabis to be cleared.
There are some controversies, some researchers say that 4 weeks and not 6, is the cutoff for even heavy smokers. But it is better to assume 6 weeks to be on the side of safety.
You can look up here:
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/DrDrew/testing.html

Also look up here:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_testing.shtml

You can buy a commercial do-at-home test here.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
i recently took a urine test which was a follow up drug test and results were 45ng/mg after 33 days of not smoking.The original test was 585ng/ml 33 days prior to my follow up test and the MRO considered that the 45ng/ml on the follow up test, positive for marijuana metabolites.The cut off threshold for a follow up test is 15ng/ml.Can you please give me an expert explanation why after 33 days of not smoking marijuana why i still had 45ng/ml marijuana metabolites in my system.NOTE I am 49 years old 5'7" and have hypothyroidism which as you already know causes slow metabolism,diabetes which i have a mild case of,being tired all the time and retention of weight.By the way i forgot mention my weight 243 lbs at 5'7".
THC, the active metabolite of marijuana and the metabolite which is tested, gets absorbed into the fat and is slowly released from there into the blood stream. This is in fact why marijuana remains in the blood stream for so long, unlike other drugs which clear off within 2 or 3 days.

But because of this quality of THC, of dissolving in fat, it remains for a long time.

The more the fat content of a person, the more THC his body will contain. In your case you are overweight and hence this means that you would have more THC stored up. That is why you would require a longer time to clear off.

That is why I had said in the first post that to be completely safe, you should wait for 6 weeks or about 45 days after the last use of cannabis.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.