Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I woke up with back pain in August 2005. At first I thought…

Customer Question
I woke up with back...
I woke up with back pain in August 2005. At first I thought I had some kind of virus. I ached all over at first like I had the flu. The overall aching didn't last but the back pain did. It is in the area where my bra hooks. I did several different things to try and alleviate this. I rested for a few days. I used a heating pad and took lots of advil. It did not get any better so I went to an orthopedic doctor. He did an x-ray and said I had arthritis there. He prescribed celebrex. It did nothing to relieve the pain. He said this was not unusual, that sometimes you had to try several. I tried mobic. It didn't help. He then prescribed arthrotec. It did help, but I still had pain. My medical doctor sent me to a rheumatoligist. He gave me an injection in the area that hurt. It did not help. He sent me to a neurologist and she tried several medications. I still had pain, so my doctor sent me to The Pain Clinic at Huntsville Hospital. I saw a neurosurgeon. He did an MRI and said that he thought it was probably a kinked muscle caused by inflamation from the arthritis. He sent me to the Pain center where they gave me injections in the joint. This didn't help, so the next time he gave me something that covered a larger area. This didn't help so he did it again the next time I went. This didn't help. Then I developed a colitis. I had to take steroids for months. For three years I have taken them on and off. When I am on the steroids, it helps my back. The colitis has stopped twice. Once for about 4 months and then it came back. I had to go on prednisone again on and off for 24 months. Then it stopped for about 13 months. Without the prednisone my back hurt terribly and then my hips started hurting. I asked the doctor at the pain center to refer me to the rheumatology department at the University of Alabama Kirkland Clinic. When I saw him he looked at the previous MRI and then examined me. He did some resistence tests and said I had had major trama in my legs and hips. The first visit, he gave me an injection in both legs and told me to ice them 3 times a days. The next month I went again, he gave me an injection in each hip. The third visit he gave me 2 injections in my back. My legs and hips got better, but It did not help with my back. He decided I had acute process bursitis. He said he could not get to this area so he sent me back to the pain clinic for another injection. I had the injection this past December 4, It hurt worse than ever for 3 weeks. On December 28, I felt better for the first time in 5 years. I still hurt in my back, but it was much better. I started taking the arthrotec again and I felt almost like my old self. Then in March my back started hurting terribly one day, and the next day the colitis started again. I am on endicort now. I have taken it since the beginning of
April. The colitis is much better but not completely gone. This has been going on 5 years. I just seem to be in a cycle. I have cut the endicort down to one pill a day, and now my back is killing me and my hips are beginning to hurt. I don't know what to do or where to go. I don't think I am a hypochondriac. I am 66 years old and had not been to the doctor in years except for checkups once a year and I did have to have an hysterectomy ten years ago. Otherwise, I have been so healthy. I hate taking pain pills, but I have to for any quality of life. I know all these steroids are so bad for my bones. Can you help me, please?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/25/2010
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
DearCustomer
Hello.Have you seen a Gastroenterologist for your recurrent Colitis and been investigated and what is the diagnosis?The back ache appears to be at the thoracic level.Any history of trauma/weight loss/restriction of movement at the site of pain in the back/incontinence of urine or faeces/numbness or tinglingof the genitals/sensory loss/loss of power or weakness in the legs/pain in other joints of a arthritic nature/morning stiffness/structural deformity/systemic complaints like fever,anorexia and others?Any family history of diabetes/Autoimmune diseases/hypertension/muscular diseases ?Are you on drugs for any other disease/please give me more information.Thanks.

I have been under the care of a gastroenterologist with this colitis. I have been in the hospital 3 times with it. It is diagnosed as lympisetic (spelling wrong) colitis. I had a fall in February 2005 down some steps at the YMCA. It was a bad fall, but I didn't break anything. I didn't think it hurt me. I was sore and bruised, but I didn't go to the doctor. It didn't seem that bad. My back began hurting in August of that year. I feel better in the mornings than any time. I am not too stiff when I get up. I usually start hurting worse around lunch time. Lying down seems to help. I try to walk at least 3 to 5 days a week (3 miles) and I am in a yogi class twice a week. This is where I notice stiffness. There are some poses I just can't seem to do. The teacher says it just takes time. I just started it about 6 weeks ago. My sister has diabetes. My parents did not. I just started taking crestor. I take pain pills as needed. At night I take a muscle relaxer or half of an ambien. I also take some vitamins--Calcium, vitamin D, multivitamin, and Omega 3. I just started taking Move Free. I stopped taking the arthrotec again when I started the colitis. It is the one thing that seems to help most besides prednisone.

I don't have any other health problem that I know of.

I suspect your Lymphocytic Colitis(Microscopic Colitis) and spinal pain are from the same disease process.You need to see a good Rheumatologist who can further investigate you.A connective tissue or collagen tissue disease/Autoimmune disease is likely to be the cause.This needs to be identified and treated.The fact that both diseases respond to steroids indicates this.Further you need to rule out any connection with Diabetes.The treatment of the colitis and back problem needs to be synchronised so that there is no repitition of drugs.Yoga will help with the backache and stiffness over a period of time.