Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

This is weird but today i was doing mouth exorcises to make…

Customer Question
Hey! So this is weird...
Hey! So this is weird but today i was doing mouth exorcises to make my cheekbones more defined. I help a position for a bit longer than I was told, but I didn't think it would do anything but speed up the process.
However, now my mouth feels really weird. The top, left side of it feels sort of numb and my ear feels weird, as well. It's hard to explain..not really pain but more like nothing. When I put my tongue where my teeth end, it also feels significantly different than the other side, and my teeth seem to be aligned toward the right a bit.
I let it go, but it has been all day now and it still feels this way. I don't want to go to the doctor or dentist if it's just me over reacting, so do you have any clue what this could be and is it permanent????
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/25/2010
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello from JA
Great question.
It is actually not always that difficult to thought the temporal mandibular joints off a bit and thus the jaw slightly out of alignment. While this most often clear up on tis own, you might have some nerve irritation or compression.
There are TMJ specialists who could deal with this. There are other types of practitioners who can to hands on therapy to make sure thing are re-aligned if possible.
physical therapists [need to see a PM&R doc, an orthopedist or a regular doc to get a prescription]
chiropractors, only really experienced.
Osteopaths: DO degree, trained like MDs on the one hand but some specialize in manipulation and they probably have the best techniques for skull and jaw: see www.cranial academy.org about this and practitioners.

Any injury of this sort will leave at least a minor trace, perhaps unnoticeable and not a problem unless there is re-injury. I would thus get this looked at to stay in good shape, to make sure there is not more extensive damage, etc.

Good Luck
dt
dt Please click ACCEPT to give answer credit. Positive feedback the most appreciated. Bonuses the most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.