Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Does the new Quietus treatment for titinnus actually do any…

Customer Question
does the new Quietus treatment...
does the new Quietus treatment for titinnus actually do any good?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/25/2010
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Quietus for the treatment of tinnitus is a homeopathic remedy. There are no clinical studies that demonstrate that the product works, but homeopathic remedies are frequently not subjected to the same studies as are prescription products. Although the company does not publish the ingredients, the product is probably safe, so there is little harm in trying it, other than the costs.

This is a sloppy and uninformed answer. I'd gladly pay for expert information, but this is crap. Did you consult ENT's who have expertise in these matters? It is hardly the case that Quietus is unknown--for the past year they have engaged in a multimillion dollar TV and radio blitz to sell their product.By now there are probably few residents of the United States who have NOT heard of quietus. Surely some ENT;s would be recommending it if it actually worked--don't you think? Titinnus is one of the most aggravating ailments of diseases. Or if its snake oil, the ENT's would know, wouldn't they? Or are they oblivious to the subject?

There are many homeopathic remedies that market strongly, but there are no clinical studies that shows that it works. I did not say that it is unknown.

I don't want to argue with you. But surely you know some ENT's and surely they would have an informed opinion on this most marketed of all remedies for tinnitus. Hell, I'll pay you anyway, but I just want an informed answer. I suffer from the ailment and it is most aggravating and distracting and, frankly, horrible.

I will opt out.

Doctor: Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology

I think nothing will answer your question better than THIS

I had a patient myself who tried it and it did nothing for him.

Please let me know if you have another question.
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
I can answer your question completely if you like.
One failure doesn't mean anything any more than one success.
I practice homeopathy and we can have a discussion.
dt
I think reviews from people who used it -- 1 positive to 7 negatives speak for themselves.
The positive one does not ring too true either.

Adding my patient it is 1:8.

With all due respect, homeopathy = placebo.

If placebo worked for tinnitus we would not have so many customers coming to JA desperate to get help for tinnitus.
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Thank you Dr. Sophie. I should have thought of that. I was hoping beyond hope I guess this Quietus thilng might work. It is almost criminal that our government allows companies with millions of dollars in media ad money to fool and swindle people suffering from ailments. I don't know why they aren't held to the same standards as prescription medicines, which are subject to honest testing before they are allowed on the market.
You are welcome. I have to go offline now but if you need further help, I'd be happy to answer your questions and offer some advice later on. Please let me know.
And I completely agree with you about the need for regulations in the supplement industry.
The above experts are attempting to make good points and some are, but many issues are being missed. This is not to degrade some of the answers, however, one must be trained in homeopathy with years of study to understand what it is.
This product is not homeopathic, rather, it is a mix of ingredients and apparently a mix of low potency remedies. This is called homotoxicology. A number of remedies that have helped the illness are mixed together in the hope that one will work. It might temporarily but since the exact remedy is an unknown, the potency can not be increase and the effect might be temporary. In addition, sensitive individuals might start proving [having symptoms from] the remedies that do not fit. Also homeopathy does not mix the other ingredients that are likely to be in this product, although the mix is a secret.

Homeopathy uses a single remedy at a time, one that fits the whole case, in a single dose until another dose is indicated. A differently system altogether.

In fact, homeopathy has 3 out of 4 positive meta analysis of many many studies. The one negative analysis has been widely discredited. in terms of study standards. The NIH has admitted the positive trials and that homeopath appears to have affects beyond placebo. The American College of Physicians, our educational arm in conventional internal medicine, has acknowledged that homeopathy is a legitimate part of CAM, complementary and alternative medicine. In addition, homeopathic mechanisms have been verified repeatedly in materials science laboratories. So we have basic lab science and clinical trials in favor, much more than any other alternative, including acupuncture. Docs have a much easier time understanding acupuncture though

The first fully accredited medical college that will be homeopathic will open its doors in FEB 2011.

If you want classical homeopathic treatment the check out www.homeopathic.org but be careful as training is still not standardized. Find an MD or DO if you can, but this doesn't always hold either.

Osteopathy has a lot to offer for tinnutus, especially if the problem is related to the temporal bone and its moment. see wow.cranialacademy.org for this.

I have cure tinnitus with homeopathy and so has my acupuncturist and this is with a number of years of follow-up. OMT or osteopathic manipulative treatment, adds a structural fix.

So that's the scope.
The product is unlikely to help for the reasons stated, or help only temporarily, no better than a placebo unless you are really luck.
Homeopathy is not placebo, that's just a reflex statment that happened to docs that don't study it in depth, which takes many years. But we are that way in medicine, we tend to be reflexive about what we have not studies in depth, and although much of our training has depth,much of it does not.

Suffice to say that major scientific bodies and major medical organizations are acknowledging the art, which after all was invented and developed by MDs, until it almost died out; fortunately we will be training a new group of MDs in the art.

Good Luck
don't hesitate to find me for comprehensive and complete 360 degree answers anytime
dt
Please click accept to give answer credit.
dt