Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 43 year old female my right foot has swelled up and has…

Customer Question
i am 43 year old...
i am 43 year old female my right foot has swelled up and has major pain can hardly walk the pain is like horrible this is the second day.......some say its gout i have heard of it but dont know about it plz explain gout...............................thank you in advance
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/24/2010
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 years ago

Where is the most pain, and is there redness anywhere?

their is no redness and the pain is mostly at the top of the foot very tight the foot is cant move my toes allot of pain
Has this ever happened before?
never
I don't think this is gout. Most likely it's tenosynovitis--tendon inflammation that can come on suddenly without injury involved. Rest, antiinflammatories and either heat or ice--whichever works best--and, sometimes, a splint usually help it to resolve, although, sometimes, a corstisone injection may be needed. Rarely, it can be a sign of rheumatoid arthritis, so I suggest you see a doctor about it.