Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Iam a 48year old woman, my question is this, for the last 2…

Customer Question
hi iam a 48year old...
hi iam a 48year old woman , my question is this , for the last 2 weeks i have been riding a bike i do 7kl aday and i have found that my ankles have been swollen when i get home ,please can you tell me why , i fell iam in good health
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/24/2010
Doctor: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Thanks for your question

Do you have any other symp***** *****ke puffy face, swelling any where else, urinary complaints.

Does this swelling subsides itself

Any other medical condition

no to frist

yes in the morrings it down , i have hot flushes , not on (hrt)

Thanks for your input.

Ankle edema after prolonged sitting can occur, thats good that you donot have other symptoms or other diseases. but there are some medical diseases which can cause these swollen ankles like kidney , lungs, heart & liver diseases. More over taking diet high in sodium can also cause this. Sometime varicose vein can cause these swelling. Not having other symptoms is good from your point of view but i suggest that you should visit your doctor once for getting examined and investigated according to the examination findings.

Meanwhile you should take certain measures like Avoid sitting for *****, *****e to time movement of your fingers and feet to pump blood upwards from foot. Sleeping with legs slightly elevated by a pillow.

There are several compression stockings that can be worn, they help in preventing blood pooling in legs.

I hope this will help you.

Regards ***** ***** for you

Dr Hasan

is has just started in the last 2 weeks , it is only after i have been on my bike , i ride for 7km each eveing , on my feet most of the day

yes i can understand and thats why i have told that chances of this being due to some disease process is very low, but doctors visit is always better.

moreover following the measures i have told can help you to avoid this swelling if its just due to bike and hopefully it is due to it.

donot worry , carry on your healthy life style

Click ACCEPT if you are satisfied.

stay in touch