Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have recently stopped drinkng and I am worried about a…

Customer Question
I have recently stopped drinkng...
I have recently stopped drinkng and I am worried about a seizure. My doctor has
put me on Diazepam-5mg-2 tablets,4x daily for 2days then slowly reducing.
Will this completly eliminate the risk of seizure over the next few days?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/24/2010
Doctor: dr.sehr, Doctor replied 8 years ago
dr.sehr
dr.sehr, Doctor

HI,

WELCOME TO JUSTANSWER,

DEAR CUSTOMER,

KINDLY tell me since how long you are having these seizures?

what is the cause of these seizures your dr. told you?

what is medical disorder for which you have these seizures?

do you tell me type and duration of these seizures?

regards

Last fall I had 1 short withdrawal seizure. Stopped drinking for 7 months but have

been drinking again for the past month and a half. Want to quit again for good.

Haven't had another seizure yet and want to ensure that I don't.

OK,

THANKS FOR YOUR IMMEDIATE and informative reply.

I want to tell you that as you are wishing to quit drinking so in this regards ***** ***** you have started is basically important in prevention of withdrawl symptom especially seizures.

AS previously you stop drinking after a long period of time so more chance of withdrawl symptoms was there but now it is short period after which you are going to quit drinking so it is wise to use DIAZEPAM for short period of time and gradually tapper off.

so dont worry risk of seizures is significantly higher in early period and less or negligible chance afterwords.so dont worry and follow the similar treatment.it is immediate period which is risk for seizure AND this drug will prevent you having seizure so dont worry ,relax and no need to worry for them after long period.

i hope this advise give you relieve.

GOD BLESS YOU AND HELP YOU regarding your decision.

REGARDS

dr.sehr
dr.sehr, Doctor

what is considered the early period? 2 or 3 days?

Thanks

OK,

FIRST WEEK IS critical for you.

regards