Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is there any sure way of diagnosing rheumatiod arthritis…

Customer Question
is there any sure way...
is there any sure way of diagnosing rheumatiod arthritis besides looking at high ANA levels and C_reactive proteins
? also can rheumatic disease be reversed???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/24/2010
Doctor: Dr. Gupta, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Rheumatoid arthritis is diagnosed looking at lots of things of things, the history, the clinical findings and the lab values.
Rheumatoid arthritis can be difficult to diagnose in its early stages for several reasons. First, there is no single test for the disease. In addition, symptoms differ from person to person and can be more severe in some people than in others. Also, symptoms can be similar to those of other types of arthritis and joint conditions, and it may take some time for other conditions to be ruled out. Finally, the full range of symptoms develops over time, and only a few symptoms may be present in the early stages. As a result, doctors use a variety of the following tools to diagnose the disease and to rule out other conditions.
Hence while the high ANA and C reactive protein suggest an inflammatory condition and the clinical picture may suggest rheumatoid arthritis, none of the test "proves" it.
Many a times the exact diagnosis may be elusive, and treatment may be directed at the underlying inflammation.
Since persistent inflammation can lead to permanent joint damage, early treatment is recommended.
I understand your concerns and apprehension, and I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with your physician. However early treatment should be initiated to prevent chronic damage.
With appropriate treatment the symptoms and many signs of the disease can be reversed,
All the best
thank you md doc... i have talked it over with my md and a rheumatologist... i m wondering all these medications out for this disease seems pretty harsh ie... naltrexone etc... any thing holistic that doesnt have the damaging s/e ? or perhaps there is something i could be doing myself...
I completely understand your point of view, and agree with it in part.
Modern medicines are quite strong and do have significant potential side-effects.

According to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), natural treatments for rheumatoid arthritis may range from moist heat, magnets, and massage to herbs, natural supplements, and relaxation remedies.

Although some of these natural treatments may help RA, none of these therapies is fully grounded in science and many have not been completely tested for side effects . Before you use any unprescribed remedy, always talk to your doctor.

The problem is that if on one hand you have a therapy that you know is likely to work, but may have significant side-effects.

On the other side you have therapies with possibly minor side-effects that are well tolerated but with unknown/ doubtful efficacy.

While the final choice is yours, I would suggest that you talk to your doctor about your concerns.

A middle path would be ideal for most people, wherein you control your disease inflammation with initial use of modern medicine and then try to maintain control on some of the natural / alternative medicines.

Of course certain things (like hot cold fomentation) can be used in conjunction with modern medicine,

For a detailed answer to your excellent query read here

Do remember to accept the answer if it was helpful. A bonus though optional would be appreciated

All the best