Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had terrible constipation all of my life...I am 82…

Customer Question
I have had terrible constipation...
I have had terrible constipation all of my life...I am 82 years old and have been takingstool softener with ducosate sodium and sennasides. Do they affect kidney function ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/24/2010
Doctor: Dr. Amir, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Thanks for your question. First of all I will come direct to your main question and the answer is that it is highly less likely for these medications as you mentioned to effect the kidney functions which you are taking for constipation, although they can change the color of urine to dark color or brown but not harmful effects on kidneys. I have reviewed your history & symptoms in detail and come to the conclusion that there are few important possibilities for your constipation which should be investigated and these are disturbed levels of thyroid, colonic inertia, pelvic floor dysfunction. In majority of the people constipation do occur without any cause. I will advise further tests for you and these are bowel transit studies, defecography, colonic motility studies. I will suggest you to see neurogastroenterologist for complete evaluation and these tests which I mentioned for you. You can try lubiprostone (Amitizia) a newer drug for constipation along with discussion of your doctor. Increasing fiber in diet and plenty of water always help in constipation. Best wishes.

Do ACCEPT the answer if you find it useful in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed
You need more help or clarification please ask. If you are satisfied with the response then do click accept in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Best wishes.