Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have swelling of the feet and one leg. My hydro is not…

Customer Question
I have swelling of the...
I have swelling of the feet and one leg. My hydro is not working and now I'm scheduled for an echocardiogram. What can I expect?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/24/2010
Doctor: Dr Singh, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor
If you are taking your HCTZ as prescribed and you are still experiencing swelling of your lower extremities, then you will need to be reevaluated by your physician. You may need to have an increased dose of your HCTZ, have an additional medication added, have your diet evaluated etc. You might also require some blood work and chest x-rays depending on your symptoms and to rule out any further complications. Regarding your echocardiogram, it will be able to provide more insight as to the cause of your peripheral edema in the sense if it is a heart related issue and how severe/unsevere it is. In the meantime, I would recommend that you continue taking your medication as directed, keep your legs elevated while sitting down, keep exercising your legs to keep the fluid moving, and try to limit your fluid and salt intake. Should you start to experience any shortness of breath, chest pains, etc you should see your doctor urgently.
Regards.
Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor
I'm wondering, does this edema indicate the need for potential angioplasty or could it actually mean bypass surgery? Am I jumping the gun on this?
I think at this point you might be jumping the gun. You need initial testing to see what the source of this fluid retention is. Is it related to the heart and it's valves not pumping efficiently? Is it due to the veins in your legs being unable to pump the fluid out? etc. That is why blood tests, chest x-ray, echocardiogram, possible doppler ultrasound of your extremities may be needed. Once the cause is known, only then can treatment options be explored. Regards.