Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Over the past couple of months my lip has swollen for now…

Customer Question
Over the past couple of...
Over the past couple of months my lip has swollen for now apparent reason. It begins to swell very suddenly and very quickly. It has always happened in the late evening or during the night. It is always back to normal by lunch time the next day. For several days, I woke up to welts on each of my sides that went away after I was up for a couple of hours. I still get a random welt and some sever isolated itching. I was tested for allergies and was told that I wasn't allergic to anything. What could this be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/24/2010
Doctor: Dr. K., Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., Doctor
This is calle angioedema and the welts are likely hives (urticaria). This is serious and lip swelling places you at risk for your throat closing when it occurs so you should always go to the ER if this occurs. You will need a more extensive evaluation by an allergist to determine the cause of your angioedema.

If I have answered your question, please click ACCEPT and a BONUS would be greatly appreciated