Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I thought I had a UTI because I get them frequently, but…

Customer Question
I thought I had a...
I thought I had a UTI because I get them frequently, but this time it is different. I am embarrassed to even say this, but I feel like I am on the verge of a climax for the last 24 hours and I am ready to crawl out of my skin. My husband and I were on a 5 day vacation this past weekend and we had a lot of sex! I am thinking there is some correlation to what I am now experiencing. I can't get in to my doctor today and I don't know what to do, if I should go to the urgent care or what! Please help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/23/2010
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Oddly enough, this could still be a UTI, which is some cases can cause such stimulation.
Cipro can take 24 to 48 hours to give relief of the UTI itself.
If not, then urine should be tested for resistant organisms and something such as bactrim should be substituted.
This is one reason we usually do not recommend self treatment as there has been quite a bit of UTI resistance to Cipro.
Urgy care if symptoms do not improve.
Good Luck
dt
Please click accept to give answer credit. Positive feedback most appreciated. Bonuses most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Thank you...I also have Nitrofurantoin Macro 50MG at home. Should I switch to that...or do you think I should just go to the urgent care? We live in the country, so it is a REAL inconvenience to do that, but I will if I have to. I do understand why you do not recommend self treatment~~I have been in the medical field, but I felt it was OK because I have had these before. Thanks for your expertise!
The only reason to go to urgy care right now is for a urine culutre to check sensitivties to ABX, or you can give the Cipro 48 hours and see as long as no fever or other symptoms.
dt
Please click accept to give answer credit. Positive feedback the most appreciated. Bonuses most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.