Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had problems with my toes and fingers going to

Customer Question
"sleep" / tingling / pins...
I have had problems with my toes and fingers going to "sleep" / tingling / pins and needles the last 2 days.
I am only on one medication. verapamil for migraines.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/23/2010
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Which side of your body involved?

Any speech change?

Any weakness?

Thanks,

Both sides.no slurred speech. Some arm and leg dull pain. I am tired but not weak

Thanks for the additional information.

Your symptoms are suggestive of peripheral neuropathy.

The peripheral nerve irritation can cause tingling & numbness of toes & fingers.

The cervical spine disease can cause these symptoms.

Stroke usually causes motor symptoms. Sensory abnormalities although uncommon, but can be seen with possible stroke as well.

Other possibilities can be dehydration & electrolyte deficiency, recent viral infection.

Systemic diseases like diabetes, hypothyroidism, vitamin B12 deficiency can also produce these symptoms.