Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I used to use an inhaler for my asthma, and then they

Customer Question
changed the formula, so that...
I used to use an inhaler for my asthma, and then they changed the formula, so that the new ones dont work for me. So they have me on a Neb with albuterol, but it makes me anxious and they cannot get rid of it for me. I have had ativan and that doesnt do the job any more either. I have tried acupuncture, and that didnt do much at all either. It is very hard to have this, as I never have anything close to this before. Now I am seeing a pshchologist, but it seems slow and does not get rid of anxiety like some things will, but to take alprazolams are not the answer either. I tried that and it was worse than what I started out with. I am tempted to try an alternative med, with herbs, etc, I am getting pretty tired of having this for so long....about l l/2 years now, that is hard on the system, but I have meditated and that helps but then it comes right back after using the neb. I never heard of this and it is frustrating. Thanks for your help,Grace P St Paul, Mn.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/23/2010
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 years ago

For the anxiety, you can try the Valerian root, which has good results. The other alternative treatment can be;

1) Evening primrose oil

2) St. John's wort

3) South Pacific herb kava; this has sedative action as well anxiety reduction property.

All of these are available at health stores.

Continuation of the Albuterol nebulizer would be important for asthma. Since the side effect of anxiety will be controlled by these herbs and the psychologist sessions, hopefully you would feel better. You may ask for cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), if not yet been tried for the anxiety.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Thank you for your answer, which is good but I have an additional question that has been bothering me also, I get fatiqued since on the neb too. whether that has anything to do with it , I dont know but never got fatiqued with the inhaler. Also I am on a compound med with my thyroid , and I think it is not agreeing with me , i have attempted to change that formula, but not with much success. The ingredient in that is albesel. I havae never liked it and have been on it for about 4 years. I guess I still need to try the compound people still, as I havent heard back from them But if you can advise me on any of this I would be very grateful. Thank you. Grace

You are very welcome, Grace.

Nebulizer has a side effect of the fatigue. This side effect can precipitate any time of the treatment and does not necessarily been present at the commencement of the treatment. I agree with your observation of thyroid medication and it might not be suiting you, but important would be to see your thyroid levels. If they are not adequately controlled, they can be the primary factor for the fatigue or a concomitant factor. But I would also look elsewhere too. People who have episodes of fatigue or tiredness (or persistent symptoms) need to be classified in;

1) chronic fatigue syndrome; unexplained, persistent or relapsing fatigue with unrefreshing sleep, muscle pain, concentration problems, headache, sore throat etc.

2) idiopathic fatigue; it does not meet the above criteria.

Fibromyalgia, lupus, sleep disorders are the other disorders which should be looked for your symptoms.

Following comprehensive investigations are essential;

1) Complete blood count,
2) Erythrocyte sedimentation rate,
3) Thyroid function tests,
4) Muscle enzymes;
5) Anti-nuclear antibodies (ANA)
6) Adrenal function test
7) Anti-dsDNA
8) Anti-Sm
9) Anti-SSA (Ro) or Anti-SSB (La)
10) Coombs test
11) Anti-histone

I have just added a perspective to it and you can discuss this with your treating physician.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun