Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 6 y/o fell and land flat on his nose against a table. It…

Customer Question
my 6 y/o fell and...
my 6 y/o fell and land flat on his nose against a table. It bled alot and is super sore. But i used to work for plastic surgeon and he would always tell parents that there is nothing you can do for a broken nose accept watch it and keep him comfortable. Is that true. He is way more comfortable now then he was and is not bleeding but it does look like its swelling a little. We dont have any insurance so I am waiting to take him in only if he will be better off for it. What is your suggestion?
Thanks so much.
Sandi
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/23/2010
Doctor: Dr. K., Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., Doctor
I suggest you bring your child to the ER for an exam for one specific reason: to look into the nose to rule out a septal hematoma., If there is a swelling on the septum, then it will need to be drained, while this is rare, it always needs to be excluded because a septal hematoma that goes untreated will cause cartilage damage to the septum and possibly a "saddle nose" deformity.

If I have answered your question, please click ACCEPT and a BONUS would be greatly appreciated

How can I look for a septal hematoma? Would it happen immediatley? Would he be in lots of pain, inable to be himself? Thank you so much

only a physician that is accustomed to evaluating facial trauma should evaluate this with an otoscope. It may happen rather quickly, and may not have extreme pain.