Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a thyroid scan today and my doctor told me that it was…

Customer Question
I had a thyroid scan...
I had a thyroid scan today and my doctor told me that it was completely inactive...dead was the word he used. My background is that I have hashimoto's and hypothyroidism and have had these conditions for 11 years. In the eleven years, my thyroid levels have never been regulated and I have never gone 6 months without having the doctor change my dosage. I take my medicine every morning at 7:00 am without any other medications and well before I have anything to eat. I have been diagnosed with tacycardia and bradiacardia by a heart specialist and IBS by a gastroentologist. They have told me that all of these conditions are caused by my thyroid and they will fix themsleves once my thyroid is regulated. Last Thursday I began having a terrible stabbing pain in the back of my head. I went to my chiropractor thinking that would fix the pain. My blood pressure was 82/54, so she sent me to the ER. My thyroid was checked and my TSH level was <0.2. Four weeks ago it was in normal range. Six weeks prior to this it was tested and was at <0.2, however at this time my doseage was decreased. How in four weeks with no change in medicine and a "dead" thyroid did my levels go from normal range to <0.2 and more importantly what do I do know. My doctor said he is at a complete loss. Seriously. He insists that I can't possible take my medicine like I am supposed to or this would never happen. I swear I do and I know there must be a better answer than "Tough, deal with it!" Please help me. I am a Special Eduacation teacher and a mother of four young children, I do not have time to feel this poorly.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/23/2010
Doctor: T Khan, Doctor replied 8 years ago
T Khan
T Khan, Doctor

Welcome to JA - sorry you are going through this, let me opine.

Often times with thyroiditis, the thyroid function can wax and wane. This means you go through times of HYPER and times of HYPO thyroid. Thus, along with TSH, you should have a FT4, T3, Anti-TPO, and TSI drawn.

I have many patients who go from hypo to hyper and back. Thus, this often becomes tricky in managing their thyroid and dose adjustments are frequent and necessary.

If you are indeed taking your thyroid hormone and now have HYPER thyroid, then your dose needs to be reduced again. You may want to ask the doctor to also test for auto-immune diseases such as Lupus with an ANA in the blood as these can sometimes mask themselves as thyroid conditions.

Overall, the answer to yoru question is this happens to a few people. In the end, after a few months, the process picks one and stays at one - either HYPER or HYPO and we'll know for sure!

The other thing to consider is that your dose is just too high! Maybe in the past when you were HYPO, you were having flares of IBS and the diarrhea was causing malabsorption of your pills, so you weren't really absorbing it but were taking it. Thus the doctor would have seen worsening HYPO in your blood and increased your dosage. Then, when the IBS subsided, you absorbed your meds and it was too much and get HYPER. Thus, make sure to get your IBS under control as well.

Does this help?