Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My sister has lost a great deal of weight. Various blood…

Customer Question
My sister has lost a...
My sister has lost a great deal of weight. Various blood tests have been carried out which have all come back as negative. This has been carried out over a number of months. The Specialist have now said they are going to test for Lupus. She is not eating as she said she has a bitter taste in her mouth and very fatigue. What food if any can I give her to eat to help build up her energy, and what can I do for her to nurse her back to health, that is assuming the test resultd come back with Lupus.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/22/2010
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 years ago

So is the weight loss considered to be only from her loss of appetite? Have any tests been done so far?

Yes all the blood tests have been done and come back negative.

OK, but Lupus isn't often associated with these symptoms. Was no other diagnosis considered?
No
What is Lupus associated with as the doctors are going to test for it
Well, the fatigue and pain can be symptoms, but weight loss and the taste change aren't usually associated with early lupus. I can't be sure what diagnoses were considered and checked for with the tests, but, for now, she needs to eat. Ensure or a similar high calorie product, three or more cans a day, along with as much food as she can tolerate may help.
Do you know what weight loss which is raid and taste change can be associated with?
Many possibilities, including vitamin deficiencies, occult cancer, thyroid or adrenal dysfunction, among others. Without knowing what's been tested for so far, I can't give you just one diagnosis.