Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If you only have a severe sore throat is is a symptom of a…

Customer Question
if you only have a...
if you only have a severe sore throat is is a symptom of a sds?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/22/2010
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hi.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Sore throat is rarely a symptom of STD. Sore throat can however occur after oral sex but it is rare.

Chlamydia almost never infects the throat.

When gonorrhea is there, it clears up on its own in a few weeks, but of course, antibiotics make it go away faster.

Transmission of oral gonorrhea to a partner's genitals can occur, but is rare.

If you want to be 100% certain about all this, go to your local health department's STD clinic and have a throat culture for gonorrhea.

When there is an STD, there are bound to be other symptoms, an isolated throat infection is almost never present.

--Best wishes--