Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

On friday, my daughter ate an amount of packet salmon

Customer Question
(chicken of the sea). within...
on friday, my daughter ate an amount of packet salmon (chicken of the sea). within an hour, she complained of burning on the roof of her mouth, followed by an intense headache, and has since developed severe jaw pain around the throat area and this morning, diarrhea. she has not shown any allergies to fish previously. she went to her primary yesterday, who prescribed tylenol, benadryl and prednisone. her symptoms have not yet improved. i'm curious whether this could be a case of histamine poisoning and if so, how to have the fish tested (it's been refrigerated since friday) or other steps that might be taken. she is 22 and in very good health. thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/22/2010
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Have a simple of the fish sent to the lab. Your doctor can order this. If you suspect scromboid [histamine poisoning, and the symptoms do fit] you can also call the public health office and talk to the officer there for direction.
This sounds like an allergic reaction but should respond, if so, to the meds that have been prescribed. Scromboid should also respond. Histamine poisoning is often missed because it resembles an allergic reaction.

A remote possibility is a food borne infection....salmonella for example, if the fish sat around in a salad. However, symptoms you describe to not really fit this.

Also, if she does not start to improve [she might be improving as I understand your post] then call her doctor.

Good Luck
dt
Please click ACCEPT to make sure I get answer credit. Positive feedback the most appreciated. Bonuses the most helpful. Answers are for informational purposes only.
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
thank you very much. symptoms have pretty much remained the same, little to no improvement. if this were an allergic reaction, would the symptoms continue this length of time? that's why i began to suspect the possibility of scombroid - if severe enough, i understand the symptoms can linger for several days...
Both one would think would respond to antihistamines, but different antihistamines might be needed in the case of scromboid.
Call the doc now just to update.
dt
thank you, ***** *****
You are welcome
Find me in the future for questions any time, just ask
dt

Hi Dr. Thomas,

I just wanted to let you know that it does appear to be a case of scombroid poisoning. I had to enlist the aid of the state Depts. of Agriculture and Health, and the packet is currently undergoing testing. But the epidemiologist is leaning towards scombroid. And my daughter is on the mend. I just wanted to thank you again for your expertise and excellent advice! --Michelle

You are welcome, anytime.
Please find me in the future for any question by asking for me in the question title. Please click ACCEPT to give answer credit. Bonuses very helpful; positive feedback most appreciated. Answers for informational purposes only.