Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My arm hurts around the front of the upper bicep and hurts…

Customer Question
My arm hurts around the...
My arm hurts around the front of the upper bicep and hurts to raise arm above my head what would it be? Its not the shoulder and I can lift things fine just moving it certain ways hurts bad and raising it above head hurts.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/22/2010
Doctor: Dr. Abid, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor

Please tell me did you have any history of trauma?

Any history of excess stretch over arm?

Pian is continous or it comes and goes?

Regards.

almost continous but does get worse and think it was during sleep. no history

Thanks for info i will suggest you to get x ray shoulder joint to see any pathology as you are unable to even lift up arm above shoulder,it will give us clue to do what next,you may need physiotherapy of arm and shoulder joint to prevent any locking of shoulder joint and after getting x ray consult dr for further advise.

Regards.

its not the shoulder and its not a bone its either muscle or nerve i can lift weight all day its just moving it certian ways that cause severe pain
Relist: Answer quality.
better response then go get an xray
Relist: taking forever.
taking forever
Doctor: Dr. B., Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Let me ask you some questions before I assist you

Are you diagnosed of any medical condition?
what kind of work do you do?
on any medications?
from how long are these symptoms?
Relist: Answer quality.
nothing
No medical condition and work at detention center no meds
I have opted out of the question ,so that other expert may assist you.

Thanks for your patience
Relist: Answer quality.
No answer yet
Doctor: Ken, Postgraduate doctor replied 8 years ago
Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
I can understand your anxiety.
We need to consider few causes.
Shoulder is a complex joint and is made up by bones/ tendons/ muscles {biceps is one of them}/ ligaments and bursae. Any inflammation to either of these can cause pain. In your case it looks to be localized over upper biceps. This is the region of biceps tendon {where it passes through the groove of humerus}. It most commonly gets inflamed {can be due to excess use/ minimal trauma though not appreciated by us/ infection}. The other possibility is sprain/ tear at the supraspinatus tendon/ bursitis {inflammation of bursa in that region.
The symptoms for two months is worrisome. I would suggest you to have a physical check up along with few investigations like ultrasound study/ blood tests {MRI if needed} to clinch the diagnosis. Treatment will follow.
Till than give rest to the shoulder/ avoid postures which hurt/ avoid sleeping on the arm concerned/ anti inflammatory tabs and cold compress may help.
Please do not worry, you will be fine soon. God bless