Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter age 19 has had strep throat for 3 months now.

Customer Question
Antibiotics are not working....
My daughter age 19 has had strep throat for 3 months now. Antibiotics are not working. She has been on Amoxillin for almost 2 months, Keflex for 8 days and Azithromycin for 10 days. They have taken her off antibiotics and is getting worse each day. She now also has an ear infection. Glands in her throat are like golf balls. Can not do much without wanting to take a nap. Is running a constant fever. Yesterday they took another throat culture and blood test. Not sure all that they are testing her for. She had a blood test about 7 weeks ago now and the results listed her with ITP. Her platlets were low close to critical, white blood cells high. Two weeks later they took another blood test and her platlet were back up, but the white blood cell count remains high. What should we be having the Doctors look for now? I am worried. We are at the mercy of the health system. Concerned Mom
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
6/22/2010
Doctor: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

I am an ENT consultant & can help you.

I need some info.

Does he have one or more of the following symptoms.

Nasal obstruction

Flu

Fluid trickling in the throat

Constant desire to clear the throat

Headaches

Rash on the body

Since when she has swollen lymph nodes, are they tender to touch.

Have they checked for infectious mononucleosis.

Regards

Thank you for getting back to me.

My daughter 19 years of age.

No Nasal Obstruction

No Flu

No Fluid trickling in throat

No Constant desire to clear throat, just huge tonsils

Yes Headaches

No Rash on body

Yes Swollen lymph nodes and very tender to touch

She has been tested for infectious mononucleosis at least 3 times during the last 3 months but the results are negative.

Note: She was in Africa, Northwest Kenya for a month late November to 21 December 2009. Was sick for a week there with vomitting and diareha. Do not know if this is important information.

Thanks for your input.

Really sorry to hear about her.

The antibiotics she was given are not good for tonsillitis, other antibiotics like Co-Amoxiclav & Cephradine are best for tonsillitis. In case of suspicion of mononucleosis amoxi-clave is not suitable but even then the choice is cephradine.

They are looking for the causative organisms which might be different from which are routinely encountered, so i hope that once they get the right organisms and given antibiotics according to the sensitivity report, she will respond well. Glands are tender & this is good thing from disease point of view because in that case if they were non tender diseases like lymphoma can be suspected.

One thing which they should do is blood peripheral film & if some suspicion bone marrow biopsy but this is the next step.

I being ENT consultant thinks that they are overall moving on the right path & i hope that your daughter will be fine soon. But please ask their opinion about blood peripheral films.

Regards ***** ***** of prayers for your daughter

Dr Hasan

Dr Hasan,

What is a peripheral films? Why would they want to do a peripheral film and bone marrow biopsy? What would they be looking for? A throat culture was done two weeks ago, the results strep. That Doctor put her on Keflex. I want to thank you for taking your time to respond without seeing my daughter. This has been going on a long time and I am now questioning any results. When she had tonsillitis in the past taking an antibiotic seemed to clear it up, but this is clearly not working.

I am American and so is my daughter. We live in Australia and are visiting family and friends in S. Cal. We leave this Thursday for home. I will keep your sites info.

Thanks for your reply.

Peripheral blood films are done to see the morphology of the blood cells, sometime tonsillitis not responding to treatment for so long can be due to conditions such as leukemias but although this is less likely but possibility should be checked. I mentioned about bone marrow because if there is suspicion on peripheral film, the next step is bone marrow biopsy.

Donot worry she will be fine soon.

Regards